Thursday, November 17, 2011

Mom's Apple Crisp

Yesterday I realized that apple season is drawing to a close and I have not made a single apple crisp (the horror!).  I blame the weather. We've had a particularly warm fall around here which has prevented even the faint thought of stews, roasts, soups and other cold weather foods from crossing my mind. As if on cue, last night a storm rolled in and I woke up this morning to 36 degrees of brisk, damp air.  Mind you, I don't care much for the cold, but it sure gets me motivated to cook all things fall so here comes my Mom's apple crisp recipe with just a few modifications (I couldn't help myself, plus I was one apple shy of the required amount). For a real treat, serve it fresh out of the oven with a scoop of vanilla bean ice cream!


Ingredients:

1/2 c. sugar
1/2 c. flour
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
3 tbsp. unsalted butter
1/4 tsp. salt
4 large apples, peeled (McIntosh, Jonathan, Cortland, or Granny Smith are best)
1/4 c. water
1 c. blueberries (optional) Note:  if using the blueberries, use 3 apples instead of 4.


Instructions:
1.  Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Grease a 1.5 quart baking dish.

2.  Combine sugar, flour, salt and cinnamon in a bowl.  Cut the 3 tablespoons of butter in to this mixture and combine with your hands until a coarse, crumb-like appearance is achieved.  Set aside.  Note:  Do this before peeling the apples otherwise your apples will start to brown.

3.  Peel apples and slice thinly

4.  Layer apples in the baking dish.  If you are using blueberries add them to the apples.  Pour 1/4 c. water over the fruit.  Top with the crumb mixture.



5.  Bake for 30 minutes or until lightly browned on top.  Serve warm.  Refrigerate any leftovers and eat cold (or heat it up) the next day.


1 comment:

  1. Oh wow, a huge plate of apple crisp - dying here as I drool all over this recipe :D
    Yum!

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru
    Latest: Rich Sticky Date Pudding w/ Butterscotch Sauce

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated before posting.