Rum Balls* - (Preparation time: 25 minutes; Yields: approx. 24 balls)
1 c. vanilla wafer crumbs
1 c. walnuts, chopped
1/2 c. pecans, chopped (optional)
1 c. confectioners (powdered) sugar
2 heaping Tbsp. of Hershey's cocoa powder
1/3 c. of Captain Morgan's Spiced Rum
1 tbsp. white Karo syrup
1. Crush vanilla wafers until you have 1 c. of crumbs. (see Tips #1 and #2 below)
2. Finely chop 1 c. of walnuts
3. Combine vanilla wafer crumbs, walnuts, pecans, cocoa and confectioners sugar. Blend thoroughly.
4. Add the rum and Karo syrup.
5. Mix well and form in to 1/2-1 inch wide balls
6. Roll the balls in powdered sugar and store in a tightly sealed container in the refrigerator.
*A few tips before you start:
1. Don't buy generic vanilla wafers. The difference in taste compared to the original "Nilla" wafer is apparent.
2. If you have a Kitchen Aid mixer, and you have the slicer attachment, use the smallest serrated insert which will grind the wafers and nuts nicely (and save you a lot of work!).
3. Be generous with the booze. I use Captain Morgan's Spiced rum.
4. When rolling the balls scrape your hands with a spatula or wash them halfway through the batch otherwise the balls get sticky and gooey and lose their smooth texture.
5. For best results, make 2 weeks ahead of when you plan to serve to give the balls time to age. If you don't have two weeks, at least make them a couple of days before so they have time to firm up.